Friday, July 3, 2009

Rewriting sucks...

The thing that makes rewriting so much less fun than writing is that nobody is eagerly waiting for it. When I wrote Witches, I had my friend Madeline reading each chapter and offering advice. When I wrote my serial fan-fiction novel, I had a band of fans offering ego-boosting kudos and having kitten fits if I didn't provide the chapter of the week on time.

Nobody waits for rewrites. Nobody cares if I'm trying to make the main character a bit more of a doofus at the beginning. Nobody is interested in my inner debate over whether I should tone down the jokes about the wizard's bad cooking (because the few agents I submitted Version One to seemed grossed out) or just leave it and hope to find an agent with a more cartoony sense of humor, who didn't take things so darned realistically.

Poop.

No comments:

Post a Comment